RE: lone writer and Source Safe

Subject: RE: lone writer and Source Safe
From: "krupp, marguerite" <krupp_marguerite -at- emc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:09:48 -0400

My first impulse on reading the original post was to think (ungenerously)
that THEY want to have control over your documents.

Then I had second thoughts. Consider the following:

1. They are in love with their tool of choice (as Connie pointed out), and
like all good hackers, they want to share it.

2. Presumably, you won't ALWAYS be a lone writer. It will be a lot easier to
put your stuff under some form of source control now, when you DO have
control of everything, than to wait until things start to get out of control
as the department grows. We're experiencing this now, as we try to get
multiple revs out the door in very short order.

3. Presumably, you won't always be in the same position in the same company.
Eventually, you'll leave, get promoted, or ... well, I was about to say
something about being hit by a bus, but that seems kind of drastic. Let's
just say you want to be able to take advantages of life's opportunities.
Wouldn't it be nice to know that in your absence, your hard work has at
least a chance of surviving?

Cheerily,
Marguerite