RE: On Summer Help

Subject: RE: On Summer Help
From: jsmith -at- informatica -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:57:18 -0700

I was really lucky to have the experience to work at NASA in high school in
a summer program for women and minorities who were interested in engineering
and the sciences. It was a great experience, but unfortunately, my mentor
didn't always have decent work for me (and my partner) to do. She was a
great woman, but she was a manager, not a working scientist or engineer.

Most of the other students had the chance to work on something related to
their mentor's job. I was slightly on the bummed side about having to take
inventory of the furniture in my mentor's department. Wasn't exactly
related to science...

So, my advice is that you actually give something "real" for the student to
do. It can still be mundane, but at least have it be relevant to what you
actually do. High school students are actually pretty smart, so make sure
you have faith in their abilities; they love that!

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have them go to some meetings with you. They
won't necessarily contribute to the meeting, but at least they can see what
else goes on at the company and what employees have to do to plan what it is
they do. Not all students get a chance to see where their parents work, so
it can be enlightening.

And lastly, just *ask* the student what s/he is interested in! You never
know what you'll hear...

Good luck and have fun!
Jennie Smith