Re: Exact meaning of / (forward slash)

Subject: Re: Exact meaning of / (forward slash)
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Scudder, Beth" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 11:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

Everytime I've seen the slash (other than in computer
languages), it has been used as a stand in for "or."

s/he (or his/her) = she or he.
and/or = and or or.

A grammar teacher "encouraged" that using a slash in
this manner is "nonstandard." However, I've seen it
increasingly used, especially since the use of "he" to
indicate "an individual" has been questioned.

=====
Jeff Hanvey
Memphis, TN

http://im.yahoo.com/