Reply to Your "TOOLS: MS Word numbering frustration" on techwr-l

Subject: Reply to Your "TOOLS: MS Word numbering frustration" on techwr-l
From: jhalleman -at- mantranet -dot- com (Joseph Halleman)
To: "\"'BeccaPrice<becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>'\" <BeccaPrice"<becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:52:36 -0400

Becca,
The problem you are facing is a long standing bug in MS Word since it was
first developed for Windows. I have used MS Word for years and every time
they come out with a new version I check the autonumbering features out and
find they have not been fixed. You will also find it difficult to insert
unnumbered paragraphs or graphics between numbered steps or even create
alphabetical substeps and keep your numbering intact. If you have the
luxury of moving to another package, I suggest FrameMaker; procedural
numbering is a no brainer. Sorry I don't have any solutions for you. I
personally stay away from Word when I am creating a technical manual.

Sincerely,
Joe

Joe Halleman
Senior Writer