Copying Word files into one huge honkin' Word doc

Subject: Copying Word files into one huge honkin' Word doc
From: "McDonald, Nancy A." <NMcDonal -at- wcom -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:38:01 -0400

Hi 'whirlers...

Has anyone (duh) ever had this problem?? I'm putting many Word files
together into a "wholedoc" w/ some 220 pages to date. Now I am trying to
include the "appendix" and the first one is a 40-some page file (also Word)
which, whenever I try to paste into the wholedoc, I get a WinWord crash.
I've tried to copy/paste the appendix into a new doc, and no problem, no
crash.

I've also had a problem in the appendix, trying to delete a "total pgs"
field in the footer, and it was very difficult. But I did it. Tried to
re-copy into the wholedoc without the footer info, and same thing: WinWord
crash.

I'm beginning to think that the crash is happening with the huge doc which
just cannot handle any more data??

My alternative seems to be 2 separate PDFs... One for the chapters, and
another for the Appendix....?? (and that brings me to another question: How
to get several files into one PDF??)

Hoping to hear something useful.... as I always get from this group...

Nancy McDonald
Sr. Project Manager
Process and Project Management
UUNET