Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamweaver??

Subject: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamweaver??
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:44 -0500

" I'm totally new to web creation."

Wow, and they are wanting you to develop an Intranet site? Geez! How did you get
yourself into that one? ;-)

"Someone else recommended FrontPage, but that I would have to learn
from scratch. I'm looking for some advice."

My advice is to not use *any* of these. Instead, buy yourself a book on HTML
("HTML 4.0 Unleashed" is a good start) and learn HTML. Then do it all in
Notepad. I promise in the long run you'll be glad you did. The learning curve
for FrontPage will be just as long as it will for HTML. I've worked with people
who use PageMill, FrontPage, etc. Sure, they can put some documents together
fairly quickly, but as soon as something goes wrong - they can't debug. They
come to me - the guy who uses Notepad. ;-) Why? Because they never bothered to
obtain a firm grasp of HTML.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's something I
really thing you should consider. Even if you do end up going with an HTML
editor, do yourself a favor and try to learn HTML itself.

Also, if you have *any* questions about HTML during this project, please feel
free to contact me off-list and I will do what I can to help you.

Good luck!

-jp

Teknekron Infoswitch is now e-talk Corporation. Visit our website at www.e-talkcorp.com.