RE: graphic artist work

Subject: RE: graphic artist work
From: Todd Sutherland <TSutherland -at- DERIVION -dot- com>
To: ROBERT SIDMAN <scribe -at- ezonline -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L digest (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:44:12 -0400

Hello, Robert,

I've worked with, and own, both platforms. It's easy to get bogged
down in a war here. What I can tell you from my experience is that there
are advantages to both, but I have to come down in favour of Windows. There
was a time when using a Mac had very real qualitative advantages, but in my
experience, most of them eroded by about 1995. Today, both platforms use
easy-to-configure USB devices; both have access to the Adobe suite and PS
printing. But there are two things your friend will need to consider.
First, there are still a lot a lot a lot of people in the graphics
industry who do not just favour the Mac, they treat it as a virtual
religion. She will be facing these people and their prejudices. If getting
along with these people is her biggest concern, tell her to get an iMac.
But, again, in my experience, Windows is the better choice simply because
the prices are lower, there is more software, you can get it everywhere, you
can get servicing anywhere, the peripherals tend to be less expensive and of
a wider variety; more people use them so there aren't so many file issues...
it's got nothing to do with Windows or ISA being intrinsically "superior" to
the Mac; just simple facts of life. It's not impossible to get software,
buy parts, get servicing, or surf the web with a Mac, but, it is harder.

Todd G. Sutherland 100-65 Allstate Parkway
Technical Writer Markham, Ontario L3R 9X1
tsutherland -at- derivion -dot- com 905-947-9730 ext. 382
http://www.derivion.com 905-947-9744 fax

"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft....You are one
who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is
poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart
of him who writes; he is young each day." -- Ptahotpe, c. 2350 B.C.