Re: Seattle or Bust

Subject: Re: Seattle or Bust
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:42:09 -0700

Kari <kari331 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> NW Techwriters:
>
> Has anyone recently moved to Seattle from the Midwest
> or experienced similar culture shock lately?

> I'll be checking out rental housing and schools and
> neighborhoods and museums and such.

This should help with the housing search:

http://classifieds.nwsource.com/classified/real

As for museums and such, try here:

http://www.seattle.com

> Where do I begin? Are there any suburbs between
> Seattle and Redmond that are still affordable?

Redmond is about 20 minutes away from Seattle -- across a couple of
bridges (no, you don't take both; you take one or the other).

As for suburbs ... perhaps the Beacon Hill area. A good rule of thumb
is if it's on the same side of Lake Washington as Microsoft is, it's
going to cost you. This includes Bellevue, Kirkland, and, or course,
Redmond, among others.

> What about the culture? Are single parents expected to
> refrain from having eye contact with the civilians out
> there?

No; I believe Seattle was voted one of the most polite cities by some
magazine recently (that WTO thing notwithstanding).

Of course, my friend from LA thought all the natives were rude --
until she met me. Still doesn't believe I'm a native!

Note that you are expected to have a Latte in each hand while you're
walking along the city streets (there's a Starbucks every twenty feet,
so that should be easy). You're supposed to raise the Latte in your
right hand in greeting. You are allowed to put one down when you're
driving, though ($75 ticket if you put both down; these add up pretty
quickly!).

> All helpful hints and advice taken with good humor and
> appreciation.

That's good --! 'Cause I was only kidding about the "Starbucks every
20 feet" bit. (It's actually 40 feet.)

> Thanks also to those who I have already contacted from
> this list.

Welcome! And good luck ....

--gdw

> Kari

Obligatory .sig:

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular."