RE: National Writer's Union

Subject: RE: National Writer's Union
From: Stephen Arrants <sarrants -at- roidirect -dot- com>
To: "'Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com'" <Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:37:51 -0700

Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com [mailto:Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com] writes:
> But every time I consider the National Writer's Union, their
> us-against-them-at-Defcon-5 attitude puts me off every time.
> Is anyone here a member of the NWU? Do you feel it is a
> worthwhile group for a mainly technical, occasionally
> freelance writer?

I used to be a member, back when I was contracting. In the Bay Area, they
had a good job listing resource for freelancers, but you had to be a member
to get the contact information. As DICE and got more and more
useful, the NWU list became less and less valuable.

I only joined for the job lists--the political agenda wasn't something that
interested me. While I'm a union baby (my dad was in the CWA and IBEW for a
long, long time), and support unions, the constant email and regular
mailings to rally for Mumia Abu Jamal, protest this and that, etc. turned me

Depending on your area of the country, and the type of writing you want to
do, there are other, much more useful resources. Craigslist in the Bay area
and Boston, Content Exchange, and others for example.

steve arrants

Stephen Arrants
Manager of Technical Communications