Interviews From Heck (was: Re: Recruiters)

Subject: Interviews From Heck (was: Re: Recruiters)
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:58:54 -0700

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> The worst I've had was an interview from hell.

I had a weird interview once ....

Tech writing position ... BIG company, two interviewers (I *think*
they were writers).

Questions were over, and I was given a task to perform: I believe I
was supposed to assemble a document from some materials they gave me
(its been a while). I was instructed to ask questions if I got stuck.

I got to work, and the two interviewers began chatting amongst
themselves. Presently, I had a question. Had difficulty breaking
into their conversation, but managed. They answered my question, and
back to work I went, and back to their conversation they went.

Eventually, bits and pieces of their conversation caught my ear: a
story about a graduation party one of them had attended -- at a morgue
--! Pizza was served. No tables available, so they ended up eating
the pizza over the open chest of the cadavers.

After hearing that story, I was so unnerved I didn't ask any more
questions.

Didn't get the job. The recruiter (ha! This does tie in to the
original subject!) said I didn't get the job because I "wasn't
aggressive enough."

Ah, well. I guess mom screwed up teaching me to be polite and all ...!

--gdw

P.S.:

Hope nobody's eating pizza right now ..... :o)

--gdw

Obligatory .sig:

Technology (n.): domesticated natural phenomena.