Re: Productivity Metrics

Subject: Re: Productivity Metrics
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:50:58 EDT

One advantage of reading in digest mode is the opportunity to appreciate the
irony of juxtaposition. In today's edition we see these two statements (this
time I won't attribute them):

>> Metrics are no substitute for rational human analysis of
>> activities. All should be grateful that we are unable to reduce
>> professional activities to some form of machine like activity.

... and ...

>> Here's one more new source for real-time salary stats.
>> "Highlights of Women's Earnings in 1999" [.pdf]
>> http://stats.bls.gov/pdf/cpswom99.pdf

Would you be willing to concede because of the mysterious ways of
professional activity, our salaries are not meaningful? That is, would you
concede that what you make is random and cannot be compared to what someone
else--say your coworker--makes?

-- Steve (stirring the pot on a Friday)

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong