RE: Screen Capture Question

Subject: RE: Screen Capture Question
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:31:34 -0400

Hallo:

The reason you get a "too many colors" error when saving as GIF is that GIF
only supports 256 colors (just as BMP only supports RGB, etc.). If your
desktop is set to 16-, 24-, 30- or other color depth, you need to resample
the image before saving as GIF. Software like SnagIT and presumably FullShot
(it's been a while, so I don't recall) should let you resample your color
depth at the time of capture. In short, the color thing is a limitation of
the graphics format, not your capture software. (Also, if you are not
optimizing your color, I suspect you are not optimizing your resolution and
it might be that you can slim-down your image sizes considerably.)

And, I use SnagIT32 (registered version not the perpetual trial) . . . and
am very happy with the purchase. I recommend if you need a tool for
business, you purchase the tool (it's a golden rule thing for me, I write
about software after all ;?).

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From: Dannette Thompson [mailto:dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com]

Currently, however, I'm using a shareware screen capture tool called
SnagIt,
which you can download from www.techsmith.com. I think it does a
pretty good
job, and has a few handy features, such as being able to capture a
scrolling
region and being able to send captures straight to the printer.