Thanks for comments re: tech writing situation

Subject: Thanks for comments re: tech writing situation
From: Emily Cotlier <Emily_Cotlier -at- cardlink -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:48:13 +1200

Thank you everyone for your comments and patience about my tech writing
situation. Much wisdom was imparted and received.

Replies seemed to break down into two categories:
1. The many, who said, in a nutshell, "That's life, and that's working with
a team: there are good reasons why this decision was made, and tech writers
work in a variety of roles on projects."
2. The few, who said, in a nutshell, "Listen to your gut--this reminds me of
a job that turned sour."

It seems that some of the respondents thought that I was not willing to work
on a team or teach a co-worker, or give up ownership of a tech writing job.
This is not the case; I've actually mentored a promising person at my
workplace into becoming a technical writer in her own right, I'm normally
enthused about working with another writer on a project, and willing to take
a supporting role on a team project or a project where subject matter
experts are in charge. None of this is the problem.

Because this list is about tech writing, not anecdotes about
less-than-competent co-workers or bad work environments, I kept kvetching to
a minimum in my original post. I admit I was bitter when I wrote, having
told New Marketing Guy earlier that day that "Don't yell at me because this
isn't complete" is not an appropriate phrase for a cover letter to outside
clients. The problems remain, and I'm dealing, with more perspective thanks
to the list replies.

Best wishes,

Emily Cotlier