Re: Online Training Resources

Subject: Re: Online Training Resources
From: Fred Brown <fred -dot- brown -at- allegrotechindexing -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:12:53 -0400

Manuel,

Here are some sites from my bookmark list:

http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/engl_101/audience.htm
"Audience Analysis"
Discusses the wide range factors involved in understanding your audience and meeting their needs.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/writing/techprocess.htm
"Document to the Question"
Practical questions that help you focus on what is important to the user.

http://www.apqc.org/free/articles/story08.htm
"Knowledge management skills"
Shows how to assess your organization's ability to gain and utilize knowledge.

http://www.ronkurtus.com/writing/techprocess.htm
"The Process of Writing a Technical Manual"
A quick overview of the deliverables in a technical documentation project.

http://www-3.ibm.com/ibm/easy/eou_ext.nsf/publish/572
"IBM Web design guidelines"
Principles for designing effective Web sites. Discusses project planning, the user interface, building the site, and maintenance.

http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/
"Yale C/AIM Web style guide"
Practical advice for building Intranet sites designed for training, teaching, education, or reference.

http://www.hci.com.au/hcisite/articles/procedur.htm
"Making written procedures work"
Gives a full picture of how to use plain language along with other document design concepts.

http://plainlanguage.gov/library/ataglanc.htm
"Plain English at a glance"
Gives a full picture of how to use plain language along with other document design concepts.

http://www.asis.org/annual-96/ElectronicProceedings/weinberg.html
"Complexity in indexing systems"
Dr. Bella Hass Weinberg summarizes lessons learned from the historical development of indexing methods with application to the Internet.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/scdt/abc_map/nav.html
"Aboriginal Business Map"
Example of how to provide business information online using the metaphor of a "map."

http://www.bernicechesler.com/
"B&B online guide"
Example of an online reference guide. "Bernice Chesler's Bed & Breakfast in the New England" contains maps, descriptions of B&Bs, and links to other travel information.

http://www.aph.gov.au/parlindx.htm
"Parliament of Australia"
An example of a Web index done in a back-of-the-book style.

Happy online learning!

Fred Brown

At 10:43 AM 07/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:

Hi to all!

I'm a technical writer in a small IT firm in the Philippines. I'd like to
broaden my skills with some online training (the company I work for may not
have the budget for tech writing books). Would you guys be able to suggest
some good sites aside from the excellent TECHWR-L site?

Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Manuel M. Ortigoza Jr.
Technical Writer
Cubepoint, Inc.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Allegro Technical Indexing
"FrameMaker indexes that save time."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Allegro Time!" the FREE ezine about
indexing for technical communicators.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
fred -dot- brown -at- allegrotechindexing -dot- com
http://www.allegrotechindexing.com
voice: (613) 728-5761 fax: (613) 728-5761
~ ~ ~ ~ ~