Re: Itinerant Contracting, and Recruiters in Indy?

Subject: Re: Itinerant Contracting, and Recruiters in Indy?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "Jeffrey W. Roberts" <jroberts2 -at- stny -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:25:01 -0700

"Jeffrey W. Roberts" wrote:

> What would you say is the feasibility of, and the general attitude
> toward, working as an "itinerant" contractor in geographically diverse
> locations, such as 6 months in Indy, 3 months in Denver, 2 months in
> Philly, and so forth? My first throught is that travel, lodging, and
> transportation logistics pose serious, maybe insurmountable problems;
> telecommuting would be my perfect solution if it became available.

If you can find employers willing to work with you, none of these
logistical problems should matter. Some will be taken care of for
you - or, at least, you'll get the information you need to make
your arrangements smoothly.

Telecommuting will reduce this problems, not eliminate them.
Companies will probably expect you to come to the office a few
days each month.

> Also, anyone have any suggestions for recruiters/agencies in the
> Indianapolis area? A rough idea of salary ranges would also be
> appreciated.

I can't help much here, but I understand that programmers'
salaries in Indianapolis are on the low side of average, since
the cost of living is relatively low. I know of one company that
found very stylist office space at $10/square foot. Its
programmers can easily afford houses on an income of about 70k.

It's not much, but I hope the little I know is useful to you.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Better a good run than a bad stand." -James Keelaghan