RE: Illegal interview question

Subject: RE: Illegal interview question
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:30:33 -0700

Jane, I've never *not* been asked for proof of ability to work, citizenship,
etc. Employers have consistently requested to view my Social Security Card,
birth certificate and/or passport, and driver's license. I'm a
third-generation American citizen, caucasian, without any conceivable sign
of non-American nationality (accent, etc.). Are you sure it's illegal?

I don't think it's illegal at all. In fact, the employer is required to submit an I-9 form, which records what proof of citizenship you have or what other documentation of your eligibility to work in the U.S. The employer could hardly fill this out if they can't ask about citizenship.

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.