RE: Illegal interview question

Subject: RE: Illegal interview question
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:26:49 -0500

Hallo:

Your employer has a legal obligation to find out if you are legally able to
work by asking about residency and visa status, etc. While asking about your
citizenship might be illegal, it is a very efficient way of finding out your
employability and I trust the question is really asked out of legal
ignorance with no malice aforethought.

If I were you, I'd stop ending every sentence with "eh," refrain from
putting mayo on hotdogs, and leave the toque at home <vbg>. Seriously, why
don't you broach the subject of your employability in the way that you want
before the question is asked by the other party. And, remember, if you need
a VISA then you quite obviously are not a citizen, which would tend to pique
the innocent curiosity of your interviewer.

HTH and cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com