Re: building a database

Subject: Re: building a database
From: Joy Brady <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 06:29:46 -0800 (PST)

A database using SQL could be built from any number of
products on the market (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2). I'm
thinking what you need is a clear overview of what
relational databases are, and how to construct them.
Unless you can find the name of the product your
company is using, I'd go for learning the general

I found this book most helpful. There were some typos
in the text, but I've found the information to be
accurate. She also covers the very basics on how to
create entity relationship diagrams. If you are called
upon to document the structure of the database as it's
being built, you'll probably want to understand that,
too. Here's the book: "Relational Database Design
Clearly Explained," by Jan L. Harrington. Publishers:
AP Professional. ISBN 0-12-326425-1

> I'm looking for
> an overview so I can
> follow what the developer is doing and understand
> how the database will
> work.
> Thanks,
> Robyn Schell

Joy Brady
Technical Writer
Columbus, Ohio, USA

Do You Yahoo!?

Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.