Re: Run Book

Subject: Re: Run Book
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:34:29 -0500

This discussion highlights yet another example of the imprecision of computer industry language.

When people encounter the multiple (and reasonable) definitions various respondents have contributed, it's a pretty good bet that no standard meaning exists. So I support the advice to ask your client. If you're feeling a little insecure, you can point out that different environments you've encountered use the expression differently (you now know some of those definitions), and you want to make sure you're doing what this client seeks.

(My own experience--I'm writing a "run book" right now--is an installation-and-initial-configuration guide for all software in the environment. No reason it couldn't include hardware. And exactly what's the boundary between "run book" configuration and "operations guide" (a different doc on which I'm working) configuration? These things are what you make them in consultation with the client, which is one good reason to explain up front--succinctly--exactly what the reader will find in the current document.)

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
mailto:ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com