Re: STC or STC# ?

Subject: Re: STC or STC# ?
From: donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:23:2

Good point about the Canadian conversion rates...at some point, the
decision to join does become more of an economical one.

Regarding the value of membership, I find the quarterly journal, "Technical
Communication" to contain far too much academic information that for me and
many others has little on-the-job application. But when people just
starting out or changing careers need the networking and the resources that
STC <can> offer, it's a disservice not to recommend joining.

You don't know if STC is a value for you until you've been a member for
awhile (IMHO, joining for one year is not sufficient time to fully evaluate
the merits of any organization). That's why I always recommend joining
instead of listening to the complaints or accolades of others. You can't
know what's inside until you get inside.

Judging the value of an organization also means going to monthly chapter
meetings, networking with peers, going to regional or international as
often as possible. You can't judge the merits of an organization just by
what you receive in the mail.

Donn Le Vie