Re: Requirements

Subject: Re: Requirements
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:21:10 -0500

I believe that first, in preparing for an interview, that you dismiss
the word and idea of interview, to begin with. Thinking of the upcoming
meeting as an interview is consigning yourself in advance to a subordinate
position. Think of it, instead, as a negotiation, a pure business
transaction between individuals free to negotiate. That immediate levels the
playing field. You are the master of what you will promise to deliver, and
you are the master of what you will accept. Be unafraid to ask questions;
you can't negotiate successfully without asking questions--collecting
information. Understand the other's position by having a full appreciation
of what the other needs and wants, and what you are offering to deliver in
exchange for what you are offered. This is not an occasion for hype and
arrogance, but it is not a place for excessive humility and meekness
either. - Herm