RE: Reference Manual

Subject: RE: Reference Manual
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:16:07 -0000

Kim Washington asked:
>Can someone give me a definition of a reference manual or give me an
of one? A recruiter has asked if I'd ever written one, and I wasn't sure if
I had because I may have never heard it referred to as that.<

What I would call a reference manual is a manual that is primarily intended
for the user to look up discrete units of information: a dictionary is a
word reference manual.

But terminology varies so much between companies that if a recruiter asks
you about something you've never heard of (or are uncertain of the
definition), I think you're quite justified in asking "What exactly do you
mean by that?"

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.