Re: Long Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Long Documents in Word
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:18:57 -0800

Lee Perkins wrote:

> Am I wasting my time because Word cannot handle long documents,
> as its Macintosh cousin can, or can someone point me to information
> on successful creation and maintenance of long documents in MS-Word?

The problem isn't with Word's ability to handle long documents, but with its utterly unusable Master Document feature.

I've used many versions of Word to create manuals with hundreds of pages, hundreds of graphics (some inserted directly, some by reference), and dozens of tables. I keep each entire book in a single .doc file, using sections to control headers, footers, and page numbering. I can hear the howls of pain, out there, but I've never had a problem with Word "choking" on a large file.

Try it!

If you prefer smaller files, create a "main" file that contains your frontmatter, an RD field (set in its own section) for each "chapter" file you want to include, followed by the INDEX field.

<title page>
<copyright page>
---------------------section break-------------
{TOC} field
---------------------section break-------------
Intro chapter, etc.
---------------------section break-------------
{RD chapter1.doc}
---------------------section break-------------
{RD chapter2.doc}
---------------------section break-------------
{RD chapter3.doc}
---------------------section break-------------
{INDEX} field

Because you have to set the page numbers in the individual files in order to see them while working on those files, I'm not as fond of this method...but it works perfectly.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!