Odd issue with hyperlinks in Acrobat 4.05c

Subject: Odd issue with hyperlinks in Acrobat 4.05c
From: Mark -dot- Eichelberger -at- Aftech -dot- Fiserv -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:56:23 -0400

Hi all, I have searched both the Techwr-l and Adobe user archives and have
posted to the Adobe Acrobat User forum, but have so far been unable to find
an answer for my unusual problem, so I thought I would try the Techwr-l
list....here goes.

I am experiencing an odd issue with pdf to pdf links in Acrobat 4.05c. I
have burned our PDF documentation to CD-R for distribution to our clients.
During testing of the CD Master, I noticed that a few PDF to PDF hyperlinks
were bad. When I clicked the hyperlinks, I received a warning dialog box
stating "../02-TEL~1.PDF does not exist." I assumed that it was an issue of
filenames greater than 8 characters and Acrobat was truncating the filename.
However, upon further testing, I discovered other hyperlinks on the CD to
this same pdf that worked. When I edited the link, the destination filename
was complete; i.e. 02-Teller Part2.pdf. So I don't think the issue is
related to the 8+ character filename.
But that is not the oddest part. If I copy the entire contents of the CD to
a shared server or to a destination on a PC, the links that did not work
when running from the CD now work. Since these are the exact same pdf files
with the exact same file structure and the links are relative, I have no
explanation for why the links would not work on the CD, but would work on a
PC or shared server.
If anyone has experienced something like this, I would like to hear from
you. Thanks in advance,

Mark Eichelberger
Technical Writer
AFTECH
Mark -dot- Eichelberger -at- Aftech -dot- Fiserv -dot- com
610 993 8000 x534