Re: FWD: Losing my profession?

Subject: Re: FWD: Losing my profession?
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:26:25 -0700

You will have a hard time finding stability in today's job market, no matter what career you are in. Being laid off and having to find a new job seems to be the way of the business world. There are exceptions, but you're going to have to look for them.

More importantly, you haven't listed anything you like about this work. For example, I really enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology and learning how things work. It's a real bonus for me. I like working with engineers and programmers and learning the nitty gritty details. I'm proud of being able to take what I learn and write good documentation for our users. It gets me past the dull parts of my job.

You may have written this email when you were having a down day. Perhaps you are only bummed out because you're out looking for one more job. If not, ask yourself what type of work would give you satisfaction. Maybe even consider talking to a career counselor. You may be in the wrong job. (I hope you're not. It sounds like you were really successful at it when everything was buzzing.)

Marilynne
<whose opinions are strictly my own>

At 08:02 PM 5/30/2001 -0600, anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

Forwarded anonymously on request. Post to the list if you
want the author to see your response. EJR.

Hello All,
<snip>
Recently, I have gone through one of those out-of-the-blue downsizings.
It was completely unexpected, as I have spent the past few years
developing myself as a technical technical writer. In my last job, I
supported four teams, producing highly technical documentation for each
one. The lesson I learned is that being technical is not necessarily a
guarantee of job security. Even on a high level, the technical writer is
often seen as the least-valuable member of a development team and,
hence, expendable.

<snip>
I have become increasingly weary of the software environment and all of
its constant chaos, lack of focus, and constant demands for long hours.
Part of it also is that I am more than tired of dealing with geeks and
their generally adolescent approach to life. The interesting fact, for
me, is that the more technical I have become, the more money I have
made, but the less I find any of this interesting or compelling.

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM
marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com