RE: Translation: simplified English or controlled language tools SUMMARY

Subject: RE: Translation: simplified English or controlled language tools SUMMARY
From: Salan Sinclair <SSinclair -at- wencomine -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:56:13 -0700

This is my summary about a topic I raised several weeks ago.
Please note that this is my interpretation of what I heard and read.

The main thing I learned is that Simplified English is misunderstood and
unrecognized to the point where it was not useful to me.

Basically, Simplified English is the idea that you limit and define your
vocabulary as a way of making the text easier to understand (especially for
ESL readers) and easier to translate (especially by machine translation).

It "can include a set of approved terms for certain concepts, a list of
words and phrases to be avoided, along with their approved synonyms, and a
set of grammar rules." (A Practical Guide to Localization, p. 30). For
example, each word, such as "test," can have only one meaning. It cannot act
as both a verb and a noun. Typically, simplified English relies on software
tools that monitor and constrain your word choice while you write.

Most people do not seem to understand "simplified English," which is also
known as "controlled language" and many other terms. Some people are
familiar with a related concept called "writing for translation" but they
don't relate it to simplified English. Pioneers in the field include the
aerospace industry, such as Boeing, and Caterpillar.

Almost to a person, everyone immediately switches the topic from simplified
English to Machine Translation (MT) and then to Translation Memory (TM).

Machine translation is using software to translate words. Simplified English
makes machine translation more successful. In fact, without simplified
English, machine translation may not be possible. Most people thing machine
translation is a huge failure, however, so this may not be a good reason for
considering simplified English.

Translation memory is creating a database of English strings related to
their corresponding strings in another language. Simplified English makes
translation memory more successful because similar phrases are more likely
to be written exactly the same way in every instance. But you can simply
ensure your writing structure is highly consistent and get roughly the same
benefit for translation memory.

Based on what I heard and read, simplified English tools seem relevant only
to large writing organizations. And they have had limited success. Some
companies start massive simplified English and machine translation projects
only to abandon them without ever achieving success.

A translator I work with had never heard of it. Another translator dismissed
it for all but the biggest translation needs (500,000 or greater words per
year).

The bottom line for me? Unless I'm willing to make a commitment to machine
translation, simplified English probably won't save me translation costs. I
thought I could edit all documents to standardize the language even more
than I do, restrict my word usage a bit, and save some money in translation.
But I'm not aware of translators who are willing to give me a price break
for giving them easy-to-translate documents.

I can get a similar results with my current habits: a fairly strict in-house
glossary and consistent word structure in all procedures.

Controlled language vendors:
- http://www.smartny.com/controlenglish.htm. MAXit: I had difficulties
communicating with MAXit, and did not ever receive a free review of some
sample pages from my documents.
- http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/sechecker/ Boeing: I contacted them,
but their tool is better suited to a large company.
- www.lant.com and www.logica.com or www.cgi.com were mentioned in a book,
but I didn't investigate them.

Writing for translation links:
- http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/localization/60485 (contains many
related links)
- http://www.multilingualwebmaster.com/library/writing-TR.html#top (contains
a checklist)

General translation links:
- http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/trenches_planningfortranslation.html
- http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/translationmemory.html
- http://www.lisa.org/

Other resources:
-A Practical Guide to Localization, 2000 has a couple of pages on controlled
language.
-BEST Practices, The Center for Information-Development Management, June
2000, has an article on controlled English and other articles on translation
in general You must subscribe to get the newsletter; you may be able to get
back issues if you subscribe. www.infomanagementcenter.com
-Managing Your Documentation Projects has a chapter on translation
-Technical Communication, Journal of the STC, May 1999, has the entire
journal devoted to translation

From: Salan Sinclair [mailto:ssinclair -at- wencomine -dot- com]

Does anyone have experience using simplified English or controlled
language
tools, such as MAXit from SMART, ASSET, or others?

In theory, these tools improve readability (especially by ESL readers),
reduce translation costs, and improve consistency.

My company is preparing for translation into two or more languages. I
believe I can reduce translation costs by using these tools and heavily
editing the English text before the translation project starts. But I'm
not
sure if this is the best use of limited resources. Will I really see a
return on the time and money spent?

The aerospace industry, Nortel, and Caterpillar use controlled language
tools. But I can't find much information about using these tools in
smaller
companies.

Salan Sinclair
mailto:ssinclair -at- wencomine -dot- com
Senior Technical Writer
Wenco International Mining Systems