Re: Handhelds

Subject: Re: Handhelds
From: "C. Janzen" <cjanzen -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 11:48:09 -0500

It depends on the device and the OS. For example, devices running Microsoft Windows CE have an included help program, which when coupled with your help content files, can be made context sensitive. You can have a form of TOC, index, &c, as well. Palm devices do not have any way to make help files context sensitive as far as I know; you just get what you get when you click the "I" in the circle.

Again, the UI of PocketPC, H/PC, Palm also varies by device and OS. Even devices running essentially the same OS (i.e., Windows CE) can behave differently between the handheld and pocket versions. From a strictly UI stand, how do I say this delicately? Some companies slam their programmers into this different context and expect the programmers to make up stuff as they go or adapt rules from the PC. Those products don't fit the "norm" for mobile devices. They look funky. They don't sell well. Please encourage your programmers to follow the standards for mobile devices and not make the products a scrunched version of a PC product! Please, please, don't make your help a scrunched version of a print product! :)

<self-promotion>The company I now own specializes in consulting on these types of projects.</self-promotion> I've generally always responded directly to people before because my former employer's IT department wouldn't let us post in the outside world, sigh. I think that those of us involved in development for mobile devices are a pretty small group and are more likely to exchange information in other venues, for example, the Pocket PC mailing list and so on. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Catherine

___________________
Catherine Janzen

Write Method, LLC
PO Box 13113
Overland Park, KS 66282-3113
(913) 383-8535
cjanzen -at- mindspring -dot- com

Kelly Williamson wrote:

<snip>
I need to gather information on creating help (or something like help) for
handheld devices, like Palms and Pocket PCs. If this project goes through, I
would also be involved in helping design the UI, so any info./web sites,
etc. on designing for these small devices would be much appreciated as well.
However, I'm really interested in finding out if there is even such a thing
as help for these devices--the few I have seen don't have anything like a
"help" button--the UI is just intuitive enough that the user knows what to
do. Is this what's happening or is there really "help" associated with these
handhelds
</snip>

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: