RE: Job Market in the USA

Subject: RE: Job Market in the USA
From: thomasburke999 -at- netscapeonline -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:35:57 -0600

Look, sorry I don't want to get into an argument about this AND I know not
every one in North America thinks your way, but:
Lisa asked a polite question and you tell her that her "Broadening her
horizons" has been detrimental to her job prospects?

You say it is difficult to check references? It may come as a surprise but
Europe, Asia, Africa, Australasia, and South America do have; Email,
telephones, websites, postal services!!

In my experience (Not my personal belief) the reason why US authors find
it difficult to find work outside North America is because the rest of us,
not matter what flavour of English, spell words properly. :-)

I agree, there are ?Euro-centric? things, including; travelling to
different countries, experiencing different cultures, learning new
languages and working away from home and these are considered courageous
things and these achievements are to be admired.

Personally, I?ve worked in 11 countries of Europe ? Learning a smattering
of 7 languages including both flavours of Gaelic and will gladly accept a
new contract anywhere in the world.

Finally, to answer Lisa?s question: I have returned from a contract in
California, (Admittedly the wrong side of the country) and there seems to
be a lot of work in the North of the state.