RE: Job Market in the USA

Subject: RE: Job Market in the USA
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:54:21 -0400

I am very glad you have had such a positive experience, but the facts of the
matter are that, all other things being equal, human resources, the
publications manager, and everybody else involved will take the easy way out
when deciding between two candidates.

As a card-carrying Brit, and contrary to your assumption ;?), I am _certain_
not everybody on either side of the pond thinks my way. I have only worked
in two European countries, far fewer than you, and never in Asia. I have
only formally studied French, Italian, and Russian . . . and have not used
any of those in years. (And, things have tightened up in Northern
California, too, though certainly jobs do exist--I am not suggesting there
are no jobs, just that the market got tighter and competition higher).

**In no way did I even begin to suggest that "'broadening her horizons' has
been detrimental to her job prospects." These thoughts are yours. All I
_suggest_ is that competition is much tighter; all things being equal, folks
will take the easy paperwork way out, and that the poster would have had
much better opportunity in the job market of three years ago, which favored
candidates much more than today's job market does. If the particular job
takes advantage of a writer who has experience working in Europe, I'm sure
the poster will have an advantage. Otherwise, aside from personal growth,
the benefits of broadening one's experience are tought to realize.**

Oh, I agree there are very positive Euro-centric things, including
courageously travelling to Firenze to do some work ;?). However, stop by
your local watering hole sometime and start up a conversation with a group
of professionals about "Americans."

Cheers and grins,

Sean<bR>
sean -at- quodata -dot- com