Re: Biggest salary cut you've taken?

Subject: Re: Biggest salary cut you've taken?
From: Dave Weisbord <dweisbor -at- lsil -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:39:36 -0700

This discussion hits home for me in my current situation, so I'd like to change
the focus and ask a question.

I am presently a contractor making a good hourly wage. Good that is for the
Portland market, although some other areas of the country appear to make more.

The contract has gone 6 months and continues. The company wants me to stay but
will not be adding any permanent head count for awhile. I figure definitely not
until next year. If I avoid any future budget cuts I could probably stay here
quite awhile and perhaps be ultimately offered a permanent position.

I am contemplating a job offer that is about to be made. While I don't have the
salary figure yet and some negotiating may have to happen, it will no doubt not
be what I am making as a contractor. Relating to this topic, I suspect that many
people who go from contracting to permanent employment take a financial cut. Of
course benefits (which are good at the potential firm) and possible stability
are the up sides.

This firm is smaller, though well funded. It has new technology that is
exciting, though perhaps risky. There's no guarantee that they will be around in
a couple years.

So I have to weigh giving up a contract for what will probably be a little less
money (though good benefits). I'll have more responsibility and input into the
products and their documentation.

I recognize that this is a good problem and I am happy about my "dilema" but
still confused.

Any input about taking less money to go "permanent".

Dave