RE: Advice, please

Subject: RE: Advice, please
From: Joyce Fetterman <JoyceF -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:52:12 -0400

"Writer Whirler" wrote:
<< My question is this: how much time and effort should I put into trying to
get her to improve her work? My boss thinks she is dead weight and I
shouldn't have to put so much time into editing (which is true.) But I want
to give her every opportunity to improve and conform before I fire her...>>

Doug Bailey responded:
<<If you have training resources to make available to her, do so. But in
any case, tell her that her job is on the line: give her a performance
review (it's only fair and (IMO) it's her right) saying that her work is
substandard and unacceptable. She has to bring it up to standards or she
must be let go. After you do this, if she fails to improve enough, you have
a right to fire
her and sleep well at night.>>

I think Doug has it right. In your place, I'd do a performance review, and
lay out specific goals for improvement -- preferably in a face-to-face
meeting. I'd review the style guide, and make it clear that I require her to
meet those standards. I'd offer a reasonable amount of time, and if at all
possible, some training opportunities. I'd make it very clear that she must
show improvement, or lose her job. If she didn't take me up on the offer of
training, I'd see that as a sign that she's not interested in improving --
or in remaining an employee of the company.

I noted that her previous manager wasn't a writer, but often rewrote her
material. Depending on how that was done, that could have helped turn Betty
into a temperamental employee. Maybe if she gets the sense that you are
willing to work WITH her, she might just surprise you.