Re. CBT tools?

Subject: Re. CBT tools?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:46:26 -0400

Heleen Los wonders: <<In addition to manuals and online help, the company
I'm working for has now asked me to develop CBT (Computer Based Training)...
Where do I start, which tools are out there etc.>>

There are a variety of options, but which one will prove best for your needs
depends strongly on what those needs actually are. Software like Authorware
can let you produce enormously sophisticated training material, and offers a
completely integrated package for produces training, but is probably
overkill for most of us and certainly isn't easy to learn (particularly if
you don't want to learn any programming). At the other extreme, you can
create surprisingly sophisticated and useful CBT using presentation software
such as PowerPoint and its built-in transitions and navigation tools (e.g.,
clickable 'next page' or 'next module' buttons). Somewhere in between these
two extremes in power and versatility, you could try building something in
HTML, which offers all the main abilities you'd need albeit in a less
powerful authoring tool than something like Authorware; on the plus side,
Macromedia produces a courseware module
(www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2001/authorware6.html) that should
let you accomplish most of what you need simply and (so far as I can tell
without having used it) without programming.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"How are SF writers like technical writers? Well, we both write about the
things we imagine will happen in the future!"--Sue Gallagher

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/