Re: how to document multiple user roles?

Subject: Re: how to document multiple user roles?
From: "Carol Chung" <cychung55 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:31:35 -0700

In word docs, this is how my company dealt w/ multiple users-single
document: describe the user roles in the intro, separate chapters according to what each user would be expected to do. For example, ch. 2 includes procedures for user A; ch. 3 for user B; etc.

In RoboHELP html projects, the problem seems to go away largely because the developers seem to output screens that are specific to user (for example, if you're user A, the developers seem to apply permissions to restrict access to screens specific to user C; like superadmin). The only glitch appears when I have a single source html project and then full-text search might turn up irrelevant topics (say topics for A, B, and C might appear when you only want to search for C). There are build tags that can be used to mark topics relevant to one type of user. I don't know if you're using html but I thought build tags were pretty cool.

-thanks,
Carol Chung
www.tornadodevelopment.com

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/