RE: Programs for Writing

Subject: RE: Programs for Writing
From: Diane Evans <DianeE -at- LOCKSTREAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:42:01 -0700

>As repeated many times in this forum - a real professional can produce
>quality material in less than ideal conditions (with virtually any tool).

As I can attest. This will date me, but I did my first editing with a blue
pencil and a light box. In those days, we had electric typewriters that
weighed 40 or 50 pounds, and a bottle of white-out.

My first word processing was done on an early IBM machine with 9" disks that
held a dozen or so documents each. Our "custom dictionary" had a limit of
200 words, so we had to periodically clean out the words that we weren't
currently using and replace them with others. It was a federal government
job, so we had lots of words that IBM hadn't thought of including in their
standard dictionary.

Currently, I use Word because there hasn't been a reason for our small
company to invest in anything else. Most of our documentation for customers
is online, so we use RoboHelpHTML for that. I would love to have a copy of
Frame or PageMaker, but one does with the tools at hand.

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream, Inc.
425-709-6840 x 230

Ask for the moon, and settle for its reflection in the pond in your back
yard.