Re: russian font and Pagemaker

Subject: Re: russian font and Pagemaker
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:23:02 -0400

That won't work AFAIK. Word handles Unicode fonts (like the Arial font that includes Latin, Cyrillic, Katakana, Sanskrit, ... glyphs, all in the same font); PageMaker does not recognize any characters over 255. I don't think there is any way PM will map the Unicode to a Type 1 Cyrillic font. I'm afraid you'll need to find another solution.

Jennifer O Neill wrote:

I have received a Word doc written in Russian and must put it into a
multilingual document done in Pagemaker. The font used in Word is Arial.
This is the first time I'll have used a cyrillic language in PM. Copying the
Word text into PM doesn't work as I don't have a cyrillic font for PM. If I
buy such a font, eg an Adobe helvetica cyrillic font, when I copy over the
text from Word and change its font to cyrillic, will all be well? I'm not
retyping Russian. Too much vodka is needed.

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit

russian font and Pagemaker: From: Jennifer O Neill