Re: Simple symbol question

Subject: Re: Simple symbol question
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:40:42 +1000

Peter has made his decision (to call them "angle brackets"), and I'll add another reason to those other people have mentioned:

Many Australians call ( and ) "brackets" rather than "parentheses", so I make sure I say "angle brackets" if it's important to distinguish < and > from other brackets. As others have mentioned, this is definitely a good place to include the symbols as well as the descriptive terms.

As Peter has a UK address, I'm wondering whether Brits call ( and ) parentheses or brackets or something else?

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie

pkingston -at- nomadsoft -dot- co -dot- uk wrote:

Anyone know what these symbols are known as when used as brackets (rather
than mathematical symbols)?

< >

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe,
New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit

Your monthly sponsorship message here reaches more than
5000 technical writers, providing 2,500,000+ monthly impressions.
Contact Eric (ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) for details and availability.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Simple symbol question: From: pkingston

Previous by Author: Re: Indexing of reference manual?
Next by Author: Re: any issues to changing page size?
Previous by Thread: RE: Simple symbol question
Next by Thread: RE: Simple symbol question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads