RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -dot- Brierley -at- Jenzabar -dot- Net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:31:43 -0400

I've seen larger employers look sideways at an employee who has shifted jobs
every 2.5 or so years, yes. But, as this list reinforced, that's not
uncommon for technical writers in the software field. And, those larger
employers are _not_ promising the Nirvana of secure employment. With the
stroke of a pen, a manager-in-charge secures himself a six-figure bonus by
downsizing whole departments and projects.

The conference thing sounds cruel.

Here, in CT, the job market is slowed but not halted. I did notice the
STC-boston chapter web sites lists about 1/3 the number of full-time jobs
that it did three months ago. I work for a dotcom. We had a round of layoffs
in February. While 15% of the total workforce got the axe, slightly more
than 50% of the technical writers did. As far as I can tell, those who were
laid off at my location were told so by the head of the division, privately,
and one-on-one. They were told not to talk about the layoff, given 4-weeks'
severance, and given a couple of hours to pack up, with no restriction on PC
use . . . except for one I.T. employee.

Not nice in any event. At that time, in my group, product development, at
this location, we had about a dozen people. Two of us are left, the rest
have moved along of their own accord. For quite a number of months, much our
work has been done at another site, anyway, in accordance with a change in
product direction.

I really would like to see employers show loyalty to their employees, I just
suppose, for the most part, those days are gone. hakuna Matata.

Cheers,

Sean