Getting a Client to Pay

Subject: Getting a Client to Pay
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:51:01 -0700

I have a client who's refusing to pay. The client has (to put it politely) an
extremely elastic memory and is becoming increasingly abusive, claiming that the
work wasn't completed to his satisfaction, that it was incompetent - almost anything
to defend his refusal. These claims not only grow each time we talk, but also
change.

Contractually, the client doesn't have any basis for withholding payment. I can also
disprove his claims by our e-mails and other documents. If I went to small claims
court, I would almost certainly collect. I've also considered a lien on some
equipment I have that belongs to the client. However, both these courses of actions
would take time and effort.

Can anyone on the list suggest any other tactics or resources? What I'm owed isn't
very large, and I could walk away from it, but, in the last few years, I've come to
dislike backing down from this sort of person; it only encourges them to abuse
someone else.

Any advice?

"And we fit in your landscape as
Our six to your five senses,
And the pastures close, and the traveller knows
That the world's cut up by fences
To catch the gypsy."
-Ralph McTell, "Gypsy Song"