Re: Getting a Client to Pay

Subject: Re: Getting a Client to Pay
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:00:37 -0700

Elna Tymes wrote:

> What is this - your client taking lessons from our latest Client From Hell?

After reading your saga, I almost feel ashamed of bringing my little troubles to the
attention of the list. With me, it's as much the principle as the money, since the project
wasn't a very large one. But it stings, all the same.

Still, at least now I can take consolation that my troubles aren't as bad as yours!

> The last straw was our delivering all the final drafts on the due date and submitting a
> final invoice, plus an invoice for a bonus we were due for finishing on time. The
> Client From Hell then decided that our work was no good and refused to pay.

Funny how these deadbeats suddenly notice serious problems with your work around the time
they're asked to pay, isn't it?
What is especially funny in my case is that the client is barely literate, and very obvious
unfit to judge my work or anyone else's. After I had moved on, the client produced an
advertising brochure in-house. Both the text and layout gave me some cheap amusement.

> The advice in here re: your client is to keep records of everything! In our favor is
> the fact that we've kept every piece of email and every page of notes from meetings, and
> we can create a trail showing what was authorized when and by whom. In fact we wound up
> putting together an annotated set of email explaining it all to our lawyers. If you can
> show your client what you and he agreed to on specific dates, you have a better chance
> of him being unable to deny your claims.
>
> And don't be afraid to take the client to court. We've taken clients to Small Claims
> Court before - an unpleasant experience but at least we got our money in both cases.

Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated.

"And we fit in your landscape as
Our six to your five senses,
And the pastures close, and the traveller knows
That the world's cut up by fences
To catch the gypsy."
-Ralph McTell, "Gypsy Song"