Re: Ethics: Charge for mandatory lunch event

Subject: Re: Ethics: Charge for mandatory lunch event
From: "Jane S." <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:23:01 -0500

I have a pointless war story!

I worked at a company that was large enough to have its own training and
professional development group and each employee had a budget of three
courses per year. Nearing the end of my year, I booked a two-day
assertiveness course waaayyyy in advance. Then release week coincided with
the class. So I worked my butt off to make sure I released before everybody
on my team, so that my absence would not be of even greater inconvenience.
On one of these days, too, the dept. manager, out of touch with the release
schedule, decided to have a dept. meeting so everybody could feel really
good about the company and how well we work together. Frustrated, no one on
my team talked much at the meeting because they didn't want it to go
overtime, but you see, it didn't matter, because custom is after a dept.
meeting, we all go out to a company-paid lunch. So, here we have it so far:

Release week.
Training course.
Department meeting.
Lunch.

I had to go to the meeting, so I missed one morning of the course. Seeing as
I was spending valuable department money on personal development, I opted
out of lunch....but, here's the kicker:

It was my birthday and I asked them to bring me back a slice of cake.

And when I came back to work from my class that night, there the slice of
cake was, on my desk, in a brown bag, with a bill attached to it.

Yup. They made me pay for my own cake.

I left the company a few weeks later.

Jane

Pointless? Yes, I did say that!