Career Change

Subject: Career Change
From: "Tony Criswell" <tcris52 -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:11:37 -0800

I've just been forced into a career change at 55. My career has been in
telecommunications, both hands-on technical and operations management. I am
completing a masters degree in public administration, having completed the
coursework and finishing up the research paper. I say this to emphasize (I
hope) that I like to write and I have a technical background. I know the
usual packages (Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, etc.).

That said, I am exploring the possibility of doing technical writing. There
is a lot of talk on here about web development. I've dabbled in that and I
don't enjoy it. I'd like to do plain ol' technical writing...words on paper.
How many times have I read a document and thought, "I could write a whole
lot clearer that that!"?

As professionals, what do you think about the opportunities to do this kind
of writing for a person of my age and without any formal experience? Any
thoughts on how to pursue this would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

Tony