Re: Career Change

Subject: Re: Career Change
From: Jane Credland <credland -at- lmi -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:37:58 -0800

At 08:11 AM 12/18/2001 -0800, Tony Criswell wrote:

>As professionals, what do you think about the opportunities to do this kind
>of writing for a person of my age and without any formal experience? Any
>thoughts on how to pursue this would be appreciated.

Like you, I made a career switch a few years ago without any formal
experience in technical writing. I did, however, have some writing
experience in a different field. Getting the first job was the hardest
part. I think I spent about a year on the job hunt altogether. I stopped
seriously hunting for a few months in the middle while I took some classes
in technical writing, worked on my resume and made myself a better
portfolio of samples.

If you've got the time and the patience, I'd encourage you to look for job
opportunities in telecommunications (especially hardware and software
telephony) and anything else related to the work you've already done.

Jane
credland -at- lmi -dot- net