Re: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell

Subject: Re: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:42:44 -0500

"Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" wrote:

> > Andrew further suggested that Elna's firm should be more flexible:
> >
> > | You should
> > | adapt your processes to fit the client's work patterns.
> >
> > I am curious to understand just how this would work. Please explain
> > which of Elna's 7 steps should she omit in order to adapt the process to
> > meet the client's work patterns. Should she skip the outline? Not create
>
> As I understood it, the CFH agreed to the 7 steps when they signed the
> contract. Thus, it's not up to Elna's firm to worry about the steps. It's
> merely a case of the CFH reneging on the contract, which is what they did
> when they decided not to support the 7 steps. If they didn't like Elna's
> work process, they shouldn't have signed that contract.
>
> Or did I misunderstand the situation?

I don't think the steps are the issue. The real problem is scope creep, the
introduction of new features and requirements for the docs without change
to the fixed price contract based on a smaller scope. If they'd kept to
the steps and still introduced those extras, there'd still be a problem.

Whether and how this can be dealt with depends both on how the original
contract was written and how both parties choose to deal with the scope
changes.

For minor changes, the writing contractor may choose to be accomodating.
Within reason, this is worth doing. It makes for good client relations
and improves your chances of future business.

Beyond a certain point (and locating that point is a matter of delicate
judgement), though, the changes in scope imply significant change in the
work you do. I've been on projects where they doubled or tripled the
work needed.

On a by-the-hour contract, you'd then have a professional obligation to
warn the client. "This means a lot of extra work, and will likely cost
you $whatever". It would be irresponsible not to raise the question.

On a fixed-price contract, you have the same obligation to your own
company. It is grossly unfair to radically change the amount of work
to be done on a fixed price deal without changing the price.

Ideally, when there's significant scope change, the contract can be
re-negotiated or adjusted so both players are again happy. Failing
that, you have a real problem.