Re: Software opinions needed

Subject: Re: Software opinions needed
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:28:42 -0500

Stephen McDermott wrote:

> My company is considering a new tool for contracts. ...

> The following tools have been evaluated and discarded by our group:
> MS Office, Access.
> Lotus Notes
>
> Is there something out there that is better than Frame?

Methinks it would be worth looking at an SGML or XML solution.

These systems cope well with highly structured documents. Rules in the DTD
(document type definition) can impose structure, e.g. making certain fields
mandatory, or catching oddities like a level 3 heading following a level 1
without a level 2 between or ...

There's been quite a lot of work done on using XML in conjunction with
database management software for complex doc management.

For book applications of XML. www.docbook.org is a fine starting point.
I'm not sure where to start for your application, but a web search should
turn up a few things and perhaps others here will have suggestions.