Software opinions needed

Subject: Software opinions needed
From: Stephen McDermott <Stephen -dot- McDermott -at- PREMERA -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:09:36 -0800

My company is considering a new tool for contracts. Each contract would
have unique header info (customer, effective dates, etc., ad nauseum), but
would be restricted to about 12,000 variations. Each complete contract
would be about 100 pages, but the source info will be about 900 pages. It
is extremely text intensive.

The company is currently using a Word document as a template for these
contracts. This is not acceptable.

I have been asked to give my opinion as a tech writer, though I am biased
and I unabashedly admit my methods are geared more towards keeping a writer
involved instead of turning it over to the auspices of IT. But I want to
give an honest recommendation (that integrity thing).

I know this is possible to do this in Frame and create the needed structure
using Conditional Text, Variables, and separate files (book builds), and
that is my first choice.

The following tools have been evaluated and discarded by our group:
MS Office, Access.
Lotus Notes

Is there something out there that is better than Frame?

Steve McDermott
Sr. Technical Writer
Business Strategy and Product Design Group
Premera Blue Cross

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr