Re: Fonts and Margins in Technical Documents

Subject: Re: Fonts and Margins in Technical Documents
From: "Edwin Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:08:11 -0500

Hello Steve.

If you use the defaults of any writing or publishing program, your documents will look very average, and will be more difficult to read.

There are many resources for typography. Here is a link for you:

http://www.eyewire.com/magazine/columns/robin/

My other comments are inline.

"Steve Lefevers" <scl -at- pcisys -dot- net> wrote in message news:000001c19df3$0fb1aa40$e523e5d8 -at- computer -dot- -dot- -dot-

My Email Address is scl -at- pcisys -dot- net

In the real business world, what Fonts and Margins do you use in Technical
Documents as a general rule of thumb?

I'm thinking about using:
Body Text - Arial 12 pt

For a change, try something 1 point higher or lower. Also, experiment with leading, such as 13 on 16.

The height of normal text reflects how long you want an average line to be. If you use 12 point, for instance, and one-inch margins, then your lines are too long, in my opinion.

Header-Footer - Arial 10 pt
Section Titles -Chapter Titles -Headings
(perhaps Book Antiqua or Times New Roman)?

You may find it necessary to use a condensed face here. Please make the page number larger, such as 15 point, and apply BOLD.

Margins:
What do you generally set for Left Right Margins?
1 inch, 2 inches...?

If this is printed one side, then left and right margins apply. I usually set the left margin at 1.5 inches or greater.

However, many documents are printed both sides. You have to consider that in your settings for inside and outside margins. If the document is punched, think of how a page spread will look when it is bound, and open.

Left Margin - Do always use Indents for Paragraphs?
If so - do you use Positive Indents?
How many inches?

I use headings where I can. First paragraph after a heading is indented. Subsequent paragraphs are not indented.

Top Bottom Margins? 2, 3 inches?

You can start with two inches at the top, and perhaps less at the bottom. What works on a typical page? After the content is written, you can make adjustments.

Header Footer - inches from edge?

From the left and right edges, the header and footer can match the left and
right margins as mentioned above.

Gutter - inches?

Mentioned above.

Do you indent your Headings?
If so, Center or Right-Justified? How many inches?

Major heads can be centered. Minor heads can be left-aligned. Or experiment with right-aligned as you mention.

Number and Bullet Lists - How far do you Indent inside the Normal Paragraph
1 inch?

Good starting point. Bring in the right paragraph margin for lists also.

Thanks to all in Advance!

You are welcome!!

Edwin A. Wurster
17 Hollybrook Way | Voorhees, NJ 08043
856-435-7823
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for PC & Mac Systems/Network
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design for Small Business