Re: Opera Browser

Subject: Re: Opera Browser
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:51:14 +0100

>I was just wondering if anyone has used or has background with the Opera

This email is written using the little engine that could.

I've been using Opera for browsing, email and newgroups for a couple of months. Some observations:

I like
* speed of browser. Yes, it's true. Loads faster too.
* builtin popup suppressor. Ha!
* good toolbar customization -- can search google (or site of your choice) from toolbar
* tabbed SDI
* very cool zoom view on web pages using mousewheel interface. Also very customizable - e.g. can assign combinations of mouse clicks to Back command, etc.
* quick preferences (e.g. turn pops on / off / minimized...)
* Import and Export Menu.
* file transfer window - nice display of downloads, plus can resume broken downloads
* email system works and somehow more likeable than Eudora, Outlook, and Netscape

I don't like
* doesn't support some javascript, but I suspect this is the javascript's fault, and not Opera's. E.g. http://members.surfeu.fi/kklaine/primebear.html can't get past the number two. I still have to keep NN and IE around for
prime number research, but then I need them for webdev anyway.
* seems to do something unpredictable with line breaks in my outgoing emails -- ?

John Cornellier