RE: I Just Got One of Those Resumés

Subject: RE: I Just Got One of Those Resumés
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:19:22 -0800

When jobseeking, I have wondered about this issue from both sides.

* Does not using styles imply an unconscious lack of skills, especially when
claiming Word proficiency?

* Does using styles imply an anal approach in which even the most basic task
must be the product of a larger process and/or design?

Either concern might be trumped by the simple fact that Word docs do not
always travel well from one computer to another. The recipient may not have
the same fonts or version of Word. My beautiful design, whether style-based
or hand-formatted, might be wrecked when the recipient's version decides to
superimpose its own formatting on my beautiful creation.

And why should they be privy to my edits, which may be accessible to the
savvy Word user?

Solution? Attach a PDF (now that's professional and who doesn't have Reader
these days?) or paste as text into the body of an email. Faxing works but
doesn't have the same slickness. I only send Word when specifically
requested.

My 2 cents.