RE:_I_Just_Got_One_of_Those_Resumés

Subject: RE:_I_Just_Got_One_of_Those_Resumés
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:39:01 -0800 (PST)

> * Does not using styles imply an unconscious lack of skills,
> especially when claiming Word proficiency?

All I would be looking for is that for any application, you are using
the basic features, that save you time and effort, as they are
designed.

Word - Styles and a minimum of added spacesr tabs (I'll even overlook
one here and there)
Frame - Master page and <P> and <C> tags
HTML - Nothing that would cause a validator to barf and proper W3C
structure (or at least close) with a minimum of unused tags.

> always travel well from one computer to another. The recipient may
> not have
> the same fonts or version of Word. My beautiful design, whether
> style-based
> or hand-formatted, might be wrecked when the recipient's version
> decides to superimpose its own formatting on my beautiful creation.

So don't make your resume so high-strung that using Times Roman as
delivered by MS software and the version delivered by Dell on your
laptop would make such as difference? If it THAT taut, deliver it
with its companion DOT. That WILL impress me, even if I don't use it.

> And why should they be privy to my edits, which may be accessible
> to the savvy Word user?

I don't think they are looking for any trade secrets, here.

> Solution? Attach a PDF (now that's professional and who doesn't
> have Reader these days?).

It may not be that they don't have a reader. I can think of two
reasons they ask for Word.

1) It is being input into a database and the database may loose
functionality if it isn't in Word.

2) Upon submitting you to a client, it is customary to remove your
contact heading and replace it with their letterhead. This is not the
same as changing the resume. I NEVER allow an agency to touch a
single word or punctuation mark. I do let them remove my contact
header. They wouldn't be able to do this with a PDF.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://auctions.yahoo.com