Re: use of apostrophe

Subject: Re: use of apostrophe
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:23:12 -0600

At 11:44 AM -0800 02/04/02, m w wrote:

I am trying to convince some developers that an
apostrophe is for use for a contraction or to show
possession. They are of the impression that the
plural form of acronyms also needs an apostrophe. MoS
and I say no.

These are the examples:

The SKUs will need to be determined.

The PCs will be shipped in separate boxes.

Mike,

The "The Chicago Manual of Style" indicates that

"Abbreviations with period, lowercase letters used as nouns, and captial letters that would be confusing if s alone were added form the plural with an apostrophe and an s:

M..A./s and Ph.D.'s x's and y's S's, A;s, I's SOS's"

You win!

Scott